Thursday, August 8, 2024

Humming the Sermon

It was a Sunday worship with stirring music.  Sometimes those of us who lead worship choose songs that are thematic with the rest of the service, or which seem to fit hand and glove with the sermon.  Call me one who has been guilty of choosing music difficult to sing for the sake of it fitting the points of the sermon.  This past Sunday was not one of those days when the music was difficult and strange.  In many churches, the tradition of camp meeting is remembered in August and the songs are the old favorites and so it was in the sanctuary where I worshiped.   

The choir even got into the act as they sang a medley which began with "I'll Fly Away."  By the time they finished, most of us were tapping our feet on the floor, doing some light clapping, and singing the songs under our breath.  When the choir finished, the congregation broke out in applause.  I was so caught up in the moment that I spoke from my fourth row pew with enough volume to be heard by the director of  music, "Let them do it again and we will sing with them!"  Such enthusiastic spontaneity shocked this normally reserved Methodist preacher.    

It must certainly be understood that I have been a preacher all my life.  As a preacher I have always regarded the sermon as an important moment in the worship service.  Good preaching touches both mind and heart.  Preaching is not a moment for teaching, but a moment for speaking God's Word to the heart.  Good music does this as well and maybe even more so.  Many of the great hymns of the church teach good theology, but they also stir the heart.  What the preacher said last Sunday is also true as he said, "I have never heard of anyone leaving the church humming the sermon!"  Neither have I.

No comments: