Saturday, August 17, 2024

Favorites

I was fortunate growing up in that my mother made sure I had a Bible long before I could pronounce all the names of those Old Testament kings.  It was a red letter edition of the King James Bible.  It was a black bound book with a zipper around it and inside there were some colorful pictures of moments like Noah building his ark and David slaying Goliath.  Long before I had an understanding of the Bible as a book inspired by the Holy Spirit, I was reading all those great stories of the men and women of faith.  It was the beginning of a life long love for the Word of God.    

All of us have stories, or sections of Scripture which are considered favorites.  When I was a child going to a small country church that my parents attended when they were children, we were given the opportunity at Sunday night worship to stand and recite a memorized verse of Scripture.  When we did, a star was put by our name on a poster board which hung in a corner.  Since I liked stars, I made sure I memorized at least one verse of Scripture each week.  Over the years the stories which were favorites then have been replaced by some others, but I have never forgotten those first years of Biblical training.  

I sat down the other day and noted some of the passages to which I have gone time and time again over the years.  If you only could keep a dozen stories or sections of Scripture, which ones would you tear out for keeping and reading again and again in the future?  Over the next several weeks, I plan to focus on some which are on a listing I have done.  Perhaps, as you read these upcoming blog posts, you might find opportunity to share some of the ones you could list.  

No comments: