Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Favorites VIII

When it comes to being most read, Isaiah most likely gets the plaque for his wall, but that does not mean the other prophets have nothing to say.  I have always had a special regard for Jeremiah. He was a prophet with a heart for his people.  The message he was given by God for the people was not something that would make him popular.  Surely, Jeremiah was no different than those who are called by God to serve as prophets, or preachers, or leaders.  They all want to be liked by the people they serve, but sometimes the message they are given to proclaim makes popularity impossible.    

In the 20th chapter of the book bearing his name, Jeremiah speaks of this struggle which is going on inside of him.  He wants to be faithful to God, but it demands so much of him.  It is such a wearisome thing.  There are those moments when he would like to take off the mantle of prophet and just be an ordinary Joe, but he cannot.  "O Lord,...I have become a laughingstock all day long; everyone mocks me...For the Word of the Lord has become for me a reproach and derision all day long.  If I say, 'I will not mention Him, or speak anymore in His name,' then within me is something like a burning fire shut up in my bones; I am weary with holding it in, and I cannot."  (Jeremiah 20:7-9)  Being faithful to God's call put Jeremiah in a lonely place.  It even put him in prison.  As can be seen from the comment about being a laughingstock, he was not taken seriously.  He was dismissed as of no value.    

It is a hard thing for any servant of the Lord to speak a word which goes against the common consensus of popular opinion.  Many a servant has been tempted to stand in the pulpit and chose to say something as benign and powerless as "I think,...or maybe this is true...instead of saying something as powerful as "The Word of God says..."  Those who lead us need our prayers.  They need people praying that they will speak that word which if not spoken is like fire burning in their bones and then stand alongside of them when they do.

No comments: