Thursday, July 2, 2020

Holy Times

A recent overnight excursion dropped me in a place where a host of flitting lightning bugs greeted me as dark was falling hard and a great chorale of singing birds provided wake up praise music just before the light chased away the dark.  The lightning bugs brought back a memory over sixty-five years old when my father and I captured those elusive critters in a jar.  More than just a smile came over me as I stood silently and watched.   Memories flooded over me of a time so far in the past I had all but forgotten it ever happened.

For some reason there is no bird praise outside the bedroom window of our home on the farm.  Maybe it is too far from the trees.  It was nice hearing the loud and boisterous music of praise to the Creator this morning.  As I stirred awake, I started singing, ""Morning has broken, like the first morning..."  It was indeed a blessed moment of experiencing the beginning of a new day in a new place.  So many things come to us as gifts of the Creator and those lightning bugs that brought back precious memories and those songbirds which lead me in a morning sing along were both wonderful gifts for which I am grateful.

Life comes to us in such a way.  God is ever present all around us and is constantly in the process of making Himself known to us.  And as He meanders around the creation with us, He brings to us one blessing after another.  A great regret is that it took me so long to see, so long to hear, so long to realize that all of life is holy.  There is so much of God all around us and within us.  These present moments of our life are never just normal times.  They are holy times. 

No comments: