Sunday, September 2, 2018

Not an "Invitation Only" Event

The circles in which I run do not have too many "Invitation Only" events.  Oh, there have been a few along the way, but mostly, whoever is doing the event is happy to see whoever might show up in attendance.  The exceptions have been things like weddings, birthday parties, and once upon a time there was a funeral that was "Invitation Only."  The reason I remember the funeral has to do with the fact that I was not invited.  But, that is all in the past and a part of a history that got straightened out at a later date.
 
I am thankful for John 3:16 which says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him..."  If you are like me, you love that word "whoever."  When it comes to the cross, are we not all glad it was an all inclusive event?  Everyone, you, me, everyone is invited to be blessed and delivered by the event of the cross.  The invitation to experience the salvation of God and life in the Kingdom was given that day and everyone got it.  Some may not want it, but it came hand delivered, nonetheless.

How grateful I am that no one is excluded from the Kingdom.  If some were destined to be left off the invitation list, I am sure I would be at the top of the list.  What has made the difference in my life is the grace and mercy offered by God through the cross.  What happened on Cavalry so long ago was a mysterious sequence of events which has the power to penetrate the darkness present in any heart.  No sin is beyond its reaching.  When we kneel before the cross, we hear the invitation to come ever so clearly and we know it is not just for someone else.  It is for you and me and everyone who kneels there alongside of us. 

No comments: