Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Home

I have never been one to spend much time thinking about heaven.  Neither have I spent much time trying to figure it out.  Needing to have a detailed description in mind has never been a necessity for believing it to be a reality promised.   A old spiritual that I love and often sing has words that sing, "My Lord, I'm on my journey.  My Lord, I'm on my journey.  My Lord, I'm on my journey, I'm on my journey home."  Home is where we are headed.  Home is where the road will finally take us.  The road has the footprints of many who have walked on ahead and as surely as the Word speaks of a great cloud of heavenly witnesses, those who have walked the road ahead of us have reached home.
 
Home is important to all of us.  It is more than just the place where when you have to go, they have to take you in.  It is more than the place where the heart is.  It is what our soul seeks and where it knows what it means to belong.  While waiting on food to come across the counter at a local eatery, a server who had become an acquaintance came alongside and asked if I had plans for the holiday.  "What holiday?" I asked.  "Thanksgiving," she said.  "I am going home at Thanksgiving."  And then, she spoke of Ohio and seeing her mother and father and a much anticipated table gathering.  Home.

The home to which we walk is where we know we belong.  It is where we will share a mysterious table gathering with Jesus and all the heavenly host.  We will be no stranger.  It will seem that we never left and that having returned we are not only welcome, but someone for whom much preparation has been done.  Home is where we are headed on this spiritual journey.  We are heading toward an experience and life of being in the presence of God which will be unlike any known or imagined on this earth. 

No comments: