Sunday, September 9, 2018

Kingdom Laughter

It happened on the other side of the restaurant.  Everything was somewhat sedate and quiet, people were minding their food, and then, suddenly this deep belly laughter filled the room.  It was the kind of roaring laughter which demanded a look from everyone.  Me, too.  At a table of six, one guy was pushed back in his chair with his whole body shaking in laughter.  In the matter of seconds, the other five were laughing as well.  It seemed totally unexpected.  It just happened.  Even across the room it caused an old guy like me to break out in an unexpected smile.  Laughter is contagious.

In the midst of hearing the laughter and being aware of my own smile, I thought about the Kingdom of God.  I imagine there must be a lot of belly laughing going on in the heavenly city where the saints of God are gathered with Him.  Imagine the joy that must fill eternity.  While the saints may not sit around shaking with laughter in every second, there is surely enough of that kind of joy to produce abounding laughter.  The Word does not say anything about heaven being filled with laughing saints, but it is hard to imagine them sitting around with frowning faces.

When I was in college, I saw a large framed print of Jesus laughing.  I bought it and every place I went it went with me.  It hung on every office wall in every church I served.  Nothing sober or somber about that particular image of Jesus.  Surely, heaven will be filled with many invitations and opportunities to laugh.  It will surely be a contagious kind of joyful laughter which sets the whole throne room rocking.  Makes you look forward to heaven.

No comments: