Thursday, March 9, 2023

The Theology Course

It only seems right that every seminary has a theology course.  So, with this reality in mind, I offer mine for the hypothetical core curiculum I have been suggesting that might be worth considering.  All the courses come as I reflect on my own seminary experience some fifty years later and after having retired to life on a farm where I have been overwhelmed by the creation all around me.  The previous courses described are found in previous blogs and this one is going to be simply called  "I Believe."    

As I remember my theology classes some fifty years ago, it was all about learning what other people believed about God.  "Systematic Theology"  was the name of the course and I had some excellent professors for which I am grateful  They certainly had shaping power.  I will never forget Claude Thompson as he came to class the last two quarters of his life as he struggled with cancer.  His life said more about God than anyone could ever say with their words.    

So, I have nothing against what they were doing.  I only want to add to it in a different way.  My course syllabus would have three books as texts: "The Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross, "The Cloud of Unknowing" author unknown, and "Listening to the Heartbeat of God" by J. Philip Newell.  A single week would be devoted to the reading of each book.  The end assigment would be to write in 100 words how the reading affects the traditional creed affirmed before the reading.  When completed the 100 word writing would be written again in 25 words.  It is important to be able to know what we believe and to be able to express it without a lot of fluff.  

No comments: