Friday, March 8, 2019

The Blessing of Trees

Until I started reading about Celtic spirituality, I never would have thought about thanking God for a tree.  This tradition recognizes that God blesses us through the creation and that the appropriate response is gratitude.  As I read some lines from Esther de Waal's book entitled "The Celtic Way of Prayer,"  I was taken by a few lines quoted from the Iroquois, another traditional people, "We thank Him for everything that exists.  We don't take for granted that a tree's just there.  We thank the Creator for that tree.  If we don't thank Him, maybe the Creator will take that tree away."
 
It set me to thinking about a couple of sycamore trees which stand above all the other trees across the hay field down on the edge of the branch.  For years I have thought about all the things those trees have witnessed on this land and will likely witness after I am gone.  Compared to them I am indeed the temporary one.  My life speaks more of the finite; theirs the infinite.  But, I had not really thought about those grand trees bringing blessings to me.  I had never really considered going out to stand before them and thanking them and the Creator for the blessings they have brought.

Those two sycamores have blessed me by enabling me to understand the finite nature of my own life.  When their huge leaves came dropping down to the ground in the fall, one of my grandsons and I had a wonderful afternoon of running, catching leaves before they made landfall, and filling the air with the laughter of two boys at play.  I am thankful for those afternoons, the grandson, and the memories.  Of all the trees around here and there are many, these two beckon me to pay attention as do none of the others.  They have blessed me and they continue to bless me.  I am grateful to the Creator for planting those two trees in that place long before I walked upon this ground and I am grateful to those old sycamores for blessing me while I have been privileged to live in their presence.

No comments: