Sunday, March 10, 2019

A Sporadic Discipline

I know some folks who are meticulous and religious about their journal keeping, but my attempts at journaling have been just a bit more than sporadic.  Even though I have done it enough to see the value in writing down stuff on a regular basis, I still struggle with actually doing it.  I have done it using the computer and I have done it the old fashioned way with a pen and notebook.  And while the old fashioned way feels better, it is still not something done easily.
 
Maybe I am not writing about the right kind of stuff.  On occasions I have been awaken in the night by a dream that needed remembering so I have used the journal pages to hold it until the light of day.  I have also stuck in a few notes that are keepers.  Some thoughts about scripture readings and excerpts from well read books have also found a place within my journal.  I have written down prayers and poems, some written by others and some bear the markings of my own heart.  It has never really seemed like anything chronological or auto-biographical, but more about the spiritual journey upon which I embarked so long ago.

Perhaps, there are other things which need to be included.  I am the first to confess that when it comes to the discipline of journaling, I am indeed the novice.   There is much I could learn from those who are more the masters at this practice.  I have never doubted its value.  Even reading the sporadic entries that I have written convince me that remembering what impacted my spiritual journey in the past is not something locked in the past.  Where I have been and what I have been thinking has brought me to where I am.  Such things are always good to remember. 

No comments: