Sunday, March 17, 2019

The Best Gift

We are often guilty of the grandiose in our giving gifts to others.  The same is true of the gifts of ministry we would offer to God.  We want to do some extravagant thing that all the world as well as God will stand up and take note.  We are often so captured by our desire to do the grandiose that we fail to see the simple things.  It is not that we are against doing simple acts of kindness, we just have a way of missing out on seeing them.
 
I have a friend who has for longer than I can remember called our home on my birthday and our wedding anniversary.  I am sure I am not the only one on his list, but each time I get one of those calls from this man who is ahead of me in years, it makes me feel like I am someone who is special to him.  It is just one of those feel good moments which is carried forward for a long time.  Nothing grandiose about keeping up with important days in the lives of others.  And, there is nothing grandiose about picking up the telephone for some real voice communication.  What it is I call a blessing.

There is in me and in each of us a desire to be a blessing in the lives of others.  This desire is certainly in keeping with God's intentions for each one of us.  The fact that we cannot give extravagant financial gifts should not keep us from giving and the fact that we can only offer simple acts of love and care for others should not hinder us in offering such gifts to others.  What we discover when such simple gifts come to us is that they are the best gifts of all.  And, what is also true is the fact that we can give them, too.

No comments: