Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Ask Now

When I was a child the oft asked question by the grown-up community was, "What do you want to be when you grow up?'  My first answer to the question was farmer.  Later it became meteorologist.  All that changed one night in the Alamo Methodist parsonage when God spoke words that re-directed the course of the years.  I had plans, but He had plans.  I am grateful that at an age when most of us are prone to make the stupid choices that I said "yes" to what I understood then to be part of His purpose for my life.  The childhood question had changed to "What are you going to do with your life?"
 
The question heard as a teenage was a more serious question.  We are each given a life to live by our Creator God.  We are entrusted with a certain number of years.  The number is unknown to us.  It should not be such a stretch for us to realize that the One who gives them has a purpose for those who are using them.  The Word in the 2nd verse of the 57th Psalm certainly affirms this as it says, "I cry to God Most High who fulfills His purpose for me."  It is a Word which reminds us a more quoted verse of scripture from Jeremiah which causes us to hear God saying, "For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope."  (Jeremiah 29:11) 
 
Is this purpose revealed to us once and no more?  Does it always relate to the big picture of our life?  Actually, it is something which is constantly being revealed to us.  There was no way a teenage boy kneeling by his bed long years ago could know what God purposed for his life decades later.  There is no way we can know today what He holds for us in the tomorrow of our future.  The question of purpose, the question, "God, what do you want to do with my life today?" is one that we are served well to ask each day.  Think about it a minute.  Be humbled by it.  Be thankful for it.  God has a purpose for each one of us in this very day.  Too many times we miss knowing and fulfilling it because we do not ask.  So, ask.  Ask now. 

No comments: