Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Words from Timothy

Some words within the Scripture have such sticking power that we never really get them very far away from our conscious mind.  They become like some life long mantra.  They are words never forgotten and always remembered.  They serve us a light to the unknown path before us and an anchor when storms of confusion and doubt seem to sweep over us.  Everyone carries such words with them.  Some are as well known as the 23rd Psalm and others are shrouded in Biblical obscurity.  

When I was a very young man with college years unfolding around me and a deep consciousness of being called to ministry, I often found myself reading from the letters the Apostle Paul wrote to young Timothy.  Even now as an old man whose ministry is mostly in the past, those two letters still have calling power.  Whether young or old, new to the faith or a worn out pilgrim, there are words in those letters that have always had resonating power.  One is I Timothy 4:14 which says, "Do not neglect the gift that is in you..."  and another from the second letter bears a similar theme with the admonition, "...I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you..." (II Timothy 1:6).  When I reflect back over the years and remember moments when blessings to others have come through my life, I am reminded that it has never been about me, but about the gift of God that His grace gave to me.   

I am always amazed that God has found a use for me and continues to use me for some small part in the work of His Kingdom.  It is not hard to look around and see others who are far better suited and who have been more faithful to His calling.  I can never understand why my life has been extended over more years than so many and why there is still a sense of being useful in the work the Christ.  The only explanation that I can find is grace, something never deserved, but always given out of love.

No comments: