Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Ode to a Tree

I watch them often
  to see their faithfulness,
    to hear their assurances,
      to know their presence,
        to sense their changing,
always in awe and amazement.
 
Far above me they rise, 
   stretching and reaching,
     waiting and watching, 
        to tell the many stories
          of all of us below
who have lived and labored.
  
Who they are is but a tree, 
   and who I am is but a man,
     here not as long as they,
       the new part of creation,
         and they always the old
with God's lessons in their limbs.
 
Teach me, Lord of the trees,
    to see the invisible before me,
      to hear You in passing wind, 
       to join their uplifted branches
         with hands raised in praise,
to rejoice that You made each and all.      

No comments: