Thursday, September 5, 2024

A Doxology

What a blessing it is to be alive today!  It is a blessing that brings into my memory the names and faces of so many who have slipped away from this life far too soon.  I have never understood and often wonder why they lived so few years and I have been blessed with the many.  It is also a blessing which causes me to do what the old gospel song says we should do which is "Count your blessings, name them one by one...,"  but how can we?  How can we count blessings which are like the stars of the heavens, or the sand along the ocean's shore?    

I live in gratitude to God for the blessings which have unfolded into my life along its way.  I have been loved and I have been given people to love.  The journey has not always been easy, but God has been present each step of the way.  I have wanted to live a life that is giving, but the longer I live the more I understand I can never out give those who have given to me.  My generosity can never exceed the generosity given to me.    I know not why I have been graced with more blessings than can be measured.  My questions about such grace will never be answered as I breathe this earth's air.  

What I do know is that God is good, gracious, generous, giving, and forgiving. He has been and is the ultimate constant in my life.  He has been and is the primary shaper of my life.  All the good I might have done in the days He has given can only be explained by pointing to Him.  I am grateful to be a part of something as big and as lasting as the Kingdom of God.  Even as I do not understand why He has blessed me for so many years, neither do I understand why He would choose me to be a part of the work of that great and eternal Kingdom.  "Praise God from Whom All blessings flow!"

No comments: