Sunday, September 15, 2024

The Rockwell Moment

If I were an inspector sent by some heavenly committee to evaluate worship services, I would give the one I attended this morning a high mark.  It had a lot of good things going for it.  Friendly people.  Good music. The right amount of liturgy.  Well delivered sermon.  Surroundings that encouraged worship.  Other things could be added, but the high water mark of the service came during the Children's Sermon.  At the end of this part of the service, the leader invited the children to pray.  I watched as a four year girl bowed her head over hands joined by entwined fingers to pray.  As she bowed her head over those tiny hands and took a quick peek at her Grandpa before closing her eyes, it was like looking at a Norman Rockwell painting.  It was more than precious.  It was heavenly.   

I have discovered over the years that some of the best moments of worship come from the unexpected sources.  I remember an older woman from some years ago who took the Sacrament on bent knees and then looked up to say "Thank you."  Her eyes were shut so I knew she was not seeing me.  I can never forget the child at another church who would stand on the pew during the singing and mimic the movements of the song leader as he led us in our singing.  And while I have heard a few folks cry out "Amen!" at some moment of worship, I think often of the young man who muttered "Wow!" under his breath, but still loud enough for the rest of us to hear as well.   

On those Sundays when we leave worship thinking that there was nothing there for us and it was a waste of our time, maybe it has more to do with us than what happened during the worship hour.  My preaching professor always told us to be sure the Scripture was read during worship so that the people would hear the Word of God even if our sermons was a dud and the choir stayed off key. The little girl with folded hands and bowed head was not listed in the order of worship, but God used her, nonetheless.  If we go expecting,  it is likely that we will see more and hear more of God and from God than we would on those days when we show up, do our duty, and go home.

No comments: