Monday, January 1, 2024

The Reading Journey

With a good head of steam, I launched out on my reading journey which will take me from Genesis to Revelation.  It has been a few years since I made the trip and I am wondering what I will see this time that I have missed on other such ventures.  I expect that there will be many moments of thinking, "Now how in the world have I missed this over the years."  The Word is always the same, but the lens through which we read it is always different.  What makes it different are the new set of experiences stored away in our memory storehouse and the different way the Holy Spirit is working in our life.    

Every relationship is always changing.  The relationship with our spouse changes as the years add up, the relationship with our children changes as they become adults and we become grandparents, and our relationship with God also changes for we are creations of His constantly being made new by the power of the Holy Spirit.   So, I may be surprised that I see and hear things from the Spirit that I failed to see and hear on earlier readings, but the surprises will be expected.   

The Word tells us "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" (Hebrews 13:8), but I have changed.  I have learned a few things.  I bear some scars not seen years ago.  And, I have come to a place of knowing that there is more I do not know about God than ever I could know.  My lens is different for this reading.  New things will be seen.  I look forward to the journey.

No comments: