Sunday, December 31, 2023

Thank You

For the seventh year I have been able to post over three hundred blogs in a calendar year.  Every now and again some reader will wonder how it is that I am able to write something almost every day.  I must admit that there are moments when I feel like I am ready to quit, but then when the next day comes, I find myself here at the keyboard putting another word together.  When I started writing the blog back in 2008, I never planned for it to be a daily thing.  I did five or six a month and thought that was more than enough.  I am not sure how I got from there to here, but here I am, nonetheless.   

There are several things which have kept me coming here to write.  First, it has become my ministry.  Ministry has defined me since my ordination back in 1971.  A few years ago (2015) I had to give up the preaching ministry.  In retrospect I have never been sure whether I gave  it up, or it was taken from me by the One who called me to do it.  I mostly think it was taken and in its place I was led to begin this writing ministry.  In every place I served except for one, I have written weekly devotionals for newspapers so the writing ministry has been with me longer than any part of my ministry. Secondly, I have come to understand that these daily blog postings reflect the way the Holy Spirit is working in my life and enabling me to accomplish something I could not do alone.    

The third and final thing which has kept me going are the many people who read these blogs.  Many have been the times that I thought it was time to stop when someone spoke a word of encouragement to me, or told me how a particular blog had touched their life.  When I have been tempted to quit, I mostly think of the faces of some of those I know as faithful readers and then I come back to the keyboard to write one more.  All of you who read these ramblings of mine keep me going and I want to end 2023 by letting you know that you who read are as much a part of this blog as any writing I might do.  Thank you.  Thank you very much. 

No comments: