Saturday, December 30, 2023

A Time for Praying

A phone call a couple of days ago sent me to the local cemetery yesterday morning to meet a family who needed a gravesite to bury a loved one.  Some six or seven years ago I volunteered to serve as the caretaker for the local cemetery which is actually owned by the local Baptist and United Methodist Churches.  What that means is that I make sure the maintenance gets done and that gravesites are sold as needed.  It is a job my father-in-law did some twenty years ago and one which gives me an opportunity to serve folks in a time of need.   

After I concluded the business part of the conversation yesterday, I asked the widow and her two sons if I could pray with them before we headed for the warmth of our vehicles.  No one has yet to say "No" to my offering prayer so it gives me an opportunity to point us to the presence of God in a difficult and dark time.  The gravesites require a check, but the prayer is freely given.    When I first started the volunteer job as caretaker, I did not think of the opportunity to pray with those who came, but as the years went along, it became a natural thing to do.  

There are many opportunities given to us through the course of our daily life to pray for those whose lives intersect with us.  Simply saying something like "You are in my thoughts and prayers" sounds a little weak when we could actually take a moment and pray.  I have a friend who when asked to pray always prays for those who ask, but he does it right then even though they may be standing in one of the crowded corners of the marketplace.  It is something we can all do.  It makes a difference.  I know.  I have been one of those who has stood in the presence of someone who dared to pray for me in an unexpected place.  The Word tells us to pray for one another.  Maybe it should also say, "wherever and whenever you find someone who needs the praying."

No comments: