Tuesday, December 26, 2023

A Slow Journey

Maybe I make too big a deal about getting a new Bible.  It is, after all, just another book, or just another Bible and I have quite a collection of them.  Most of those that fall under the category of "others" have served the purpose of being study Bibles. My new Christmas gift Bible is certainly a replacement Bible for one that is worn out so being the one who does too much thinking about the least of things, I have been pondering how to baptize it into daily use.  

What might seem obvious to most came to me late in the day after a spell of pondering.  I decided to start at the book of Beginning and read to the book that brings the inspired Word to its ending.  It has been some years since I did a through read with the Word.  Do not be looking for a report that the read is finished anytime soon.  I have decided to make this a slow journey.  

When I came to the farm thirteen years ago, the Lord gave me two words one afternoon as I was on my knees pulling weeds from the tomato plants.  "Pay Attention,"  is what He said and what I heard.  It has been a Word that has served me well as I have lived midst the Creation.  As I walk into this new year with a very old Word held together by a new cover, I will move slowly and I pray God will reveal Himself and speak clearly His Word as I "pay attention" to the unread and unmarked pages which tell His story.

No comments: