Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Revisiting Jabez

It was a little more than twenty years ago that Bruce Wilkinson delivered Jabez from the obscurity of I Chronicles and put him and his prayer on the center stage of American spiritual life.  "Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, 'Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!' So God granted him what he requested."  (I Chronicles 4:10, NKJV)  Back then it was the prayer that so many were praying.  

A few days ago while cleaning out a drawer, I found a gray round medallion about the size of a half dollar with the Jabez prayer inscribed on one side of it.  As I held the coin looking prayer reminder in my hand, I remembered that I carried it in my pocket for a long time.  After a moment I laid it on a bookshelf and basically forgot about it until just yesterday when I was browsing another collection of books and I found a small almost like new book entitled, "The Prayer of Jabez"  by Bruce Wilkinson.   

Do I need to say that at that point God had my attention?  "Is there something here I am not hearing?" I thought.  I figured the least I should do was to read the book again which I have done.  I am thinking, too, that I should include this prayer once again in my prayer life.  One thing I do know for sure.  I am going to get that prayer coin off the shelf and put it in my pocket again.

No comments: