Thursday, January 18, 2024

Pat from Illinois

I have learned to call them God moments.  I have learned not to be surprised by them.  Still, when they come, it is a surprise of sorts.  Often I am in the midst of one before I become aware of exactly what is happening and how God is once doing something according to His plans.  I am one of those who does not believe in coincidence and even less in chance.  I am much more about trusting that God is seeking to work out good in all our lives and that He gives us opportunities to share in that work which is what was happening this afternoon in the middle of the Belk store.    

I was about standing in line to make a purchase when the woman ahead in line turned and started talking.  Suddenly the conversation turned away from the trivial as she started talking about a husband of 53 years who was dying in Hospice.  It was as if the clock stopped, started spinning backwards, and we were on a journey I knew and she was walking.  As her eyes filled with tears, I took her arm and said, "Pat, I will pray for you," and she "No one would ever offer to do such back in Illinois."    

I was grateful she was in Georgia and that God had brought our paths together.  While I am sure it was a special moment for Pat from Illinois, it was just another moment when God wanted a word of care to be offered to someone hurting and He, on this occasion, enabled me to share in His work.  What we experience every now and again, He is surely doing all the time.  Sometimes He makes use of me and sometimes He makes use of you.

No comments: