Friday, December 2, 2022

The Unclouded Day

My Uncle Alvin was a very special uncle.  He was my mother's youngest brother and when my father died, he came to live with us for a time.  He slept on the twin bed next to mine and taught me a lot of life's lessons about things like washing your face in the morning and not being afraid of the dark at night.  My uncle was not a church going person, but he was one who often whistled songs they sang in church so I reckon he must have gone sometime even though I have no memory of him being there on Sunday morning.   

I cannot say I ever heard him sing, but he could whistle.  His favorite church song which he often whistled was "Oh, they tell me of a land far beyond the skies, Oh, they tell me of a land far away, Oh, they tell me of a land where no storm clouds rise, Oh, they tell me of an unclouded day."  (The Unclouded Day)  As I got older and able to see things more clearly, I came to know that he had more than just a few storm clouds in his life.  Things were not always easy for him, but he still always presented care and kindness and love as he shared the growing up days with me.  

I think of my uncle often and when I do, I do something he did not do, I sing his favorite song.  I do not whistle nearly as good as I remember him.  And, I have learned to appreciate his song and the longing it speaks to in our hearts.  Though we will fight for the last breath of this earth's life since this is the way God has made us, there is also that part deep within us which longs for the land of the unclouded day, a  place where as the Word says, "And there will be no more night, but the Lord God will be there light..."  (Revelation 22:5)  Sure sounds like my Uncle Alvin's unclouded day.

No comments: