Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Pay Attention

When I retired and came to the farm a little over twelve years ago, I looked ahead and like a foolish man figured there might be ten more good years.  Maybe I would not be jumping any fences, but still it seemed reasonable to think that there might be ten years of being able to do the stuff that needs doing around a farm.   I have been blessed with more than my anticipated ten and for each one I am grateful.  Time has a way of slipping along without our giving it too much thought, but once in awhile we are caused to stop, take account, and be grateful.   

Many a song has been written about time as well as many a verse of poetry.  And alongside of these more contemporaries efforts are the words which we find in the Sacred Word reminding us that there is a season for everything in between being conceived and dying and that at its best time is both fleeting and fragile. As the year on the calendar is ready to close, we are caused to reflect on what is past and even as I did some twelve years ago, hope for what is still to come.  

I often think of my coming here and the words which I believe God gave me as I did.  In the inner part of my being the words, "Pay Attention" was spoken.  At the time I took it to be another way of being told to smell the roses, but as the time has unfolded, it has come to mean more.  It has come to be a word which calls me to live with an openness to the ever present God who dwells here, everywhere, and with all of us.  We do not need to wait on special moments to come for if we are paying attention to the moment, we find ourselves walkng in holy presence and listening expectantly for a divine Voice which is never silent.  

No comments: