Sunday, December 4, 2022

A Writing Ministry

I remember some time back reading an author who wrote that before she started writing she asked for God's blessings on the words which were about to be created before her.  After decades of preaching and praying similar prayers, I can understand and appreciate what she was doing. Lately, as the ministry entrusted to me by the calling God has turned away from preaching into writing, I appreciate her words even more.  I could never have imagined writing what has turned into an almost every day word, but such is what has unfolded in this season of my life.    

Writing has proven to be different than preaching in a number of ways.  There are no faces to encourage me or to warn me that I am losing folks.  The response is mostly minimal though there are some who are kind enough to let me hear from them.  But, I suppose the biggest difference is that those who read this writing ministry are from a much larger area and represent a far more diverse group than any congregation which sat before me.    

Like preaching it is important that what is written is centered on the Word.  The Scripture was the authority for preaching and it remains the authority for what is written and shared through these efforts at writing.  The biggest difference in then and now has become the growing awareness that God is present.  He is present in every place and present in every moment.  While this has been known for a long time, these days of writing from the farm in the midst of the creation which surrounds me has created an even greater expectation of seeing His presence and hearing His voice in my daily journey with Him..   

No comments: