Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Give Me Jesus

It seems that this must be the year of the inflatable Christmas decorations.  A few places around here have so many in the yard that it is hard to see the house.  And, there is no theme, but a blend of trees, white snow people, nativity gatherings, and things I can not figure out.  It is not like the days of seeing how many lights can be strung out across the yard, but instead, it is about seeing how many inflatables will be standing after the afternoon breeze.  Of course, when folks see the place where I live, they are likely to think Mr. Scrooge lives there.    

I have a friend who takes a different course.  There is a lot of indoor decoration, but it is not about trees and colored lights, but creating what seems to be worship areas within the home.  She has created mini centers throughout the house which focus on themes like joy or peace. The lighting is candle soft, the icons are simple, and the message is not confused.  It is easy to imagine her stopping in front of these places honoring the season and the Christ for a moment of worship and praise.  

Everyone is different.  Some like what is full of tinsel and others want soft candle light.  I suppose the real important thing to consider is that it is the time for anticipating and celebrating the birth of the Christ who came to be a Savior.  Our decorations are not competitions, but expressions of what we value during these holy days.  I recognize my bias shows, but just give me Jesus and I will be delighted every time.

No comments: