Saturday, February 6, 2021

Tire Tracks

 A few weeks ago I drove the truck across the hay field down to the branch where there was some work to do.  It was not a big deal.  Out here on the farm it is not an uncommon thing to drive the truck all over the place.  A road is not really needed.  It was such a mundane moment, it was quickly forgotten and only remembered in the present moment as I looked out the window and saw what looked like tire markings impressed down in the dead brown field.  As I looked I remembered where I had been a few weeks ago.  

As quick as a second clicks off the clock, I found myself wondering what kind of markings I have left in the places where I have been.  But, even more important than what is behind is what is ahead.  Each day we live, we are leaving a trail of either faithful living before God, or we are leaving a trail that would speak of lesser things.  The truth is what is going to be left behind for others to see is most likely not noticed much by us as we go forward.     

To look at the past is to be told this is the way it will work in the days that are to come.  Our witness, our faithful living, and our love for God may seem to disappear on that day when we breathe our last, but even as tire tracks linger in hay fields, so will the life we live for God linger in such a way that others will see and remember and hopefully be encouraged to walk the same way.  What is offered for the sake of Christ last and lingers as long as eternity.  It never fades away.     

No comments: