Friday, February 5, 2021

Spiritual Blessings

While I have never been a fan of folks living in the past and always talking about a single spiritual experience which shaped their faith journey, the Asbury Revival of 1970 is one moment that I must admit to going back to from time to time.  The act of remembering is like lighting kindling in a cold fire place.  After all these years it still has stirring power that renews my spirit as it reminds me of what it is like when the Holy Spirit is allowed to burn and consume.     

Having made the confession is to also acknowledge that it has never been a moment upon which I have dwelt.  There was a time when I could have built my spiritual life upon what happened in those days, but fortunately, I began to realize that the Spirit was at work in my heart and around me throughout a life time and not just in one moment.   The revival at Asbury College was a compelling and propelling moment and it created in me a spiritual mindset to be open to the unfolding work of God in my life.     

Like many who stand briefly on the mountain top, it is tempting to think that arrival at some spiritual zenith has been attained.  Life has a way of shattering that illusion.  Or, maybe, it is not life, but the Holy Spirit Himself.  As Jesus would not allow those three disciples on the Mt. of Transfiguration to build a shrine where glory broke into their midst, the Spirit blesses us, not to stop our spiritual transformation, but to enable.  I am thankful to God for the blessing of being present at Asbury College on that Spirit filled Tuesday morning and grateful too for the untold spiritual blessings which have filled my life as I journey toward home.   

No comments: