Monday, February 1, 2021

Overwhelmed Bystanders

On this day fifty one years ago I was standing two days away from what would be an experience which would not only be dramatic, but would dramatically change the forward movement of my faith journey.  A powerful encounter with the Holy Spirit was about to break fully upon me.  I was in my last quarter and about to graduate from Asbury College.  I was full of skepticism.  I had been immersed in a spirituality which had a high regard for the work of the Spirit, but had remained unchanged.  I went to Asbury College knowing it was God's leading, but kicking and screaming every step of the way.     

On February 3, 1970 I was filling my seat in one of the three weekly chapel services as I was required to do when the Holy Spirit began a work which changed individual lives, a number of college campus, and untold ministries that were being shaped in that place.  We never know from one day to the next what God is about to do.  We may think we have Him figured out, but such is never the case.  He is the God of an eternity of surprises.  He is unpredictable and drags in the most unlikely folks as servants of His work.     

We may make our plans, but the truth is that we never know exactly what the Holy Spirit might do out there ahead of us.  Certainly those disciples who gathered in prayer before the Day of Pentecost could not have known the extent of what the Holy Spirit would do through their lives.  Their story is still being told.  Who knows today what the Spirit might do tomorrow, or two days from now?   And who knows?  We may be blessed as overwhelmed bystanders.   

No comments: