Thursday, February 4, 2021

An Abiding Place

Whenever I read something about the Asbury Revival of 1970, it is easy not only to remember being present and being blessed beyond measure, but each time of remembering is always accompanied by a sense of the Holy Spirit stirring within me.  While such may sound a bit strange to some, I have learned to expect it over the years.  It is easy to speak of the particulars of the Revival as it unfolded and overpowered that place, but it is also true that the words used never really seem to capture what happened and how it has impacted my spiritual journey through all these years.     

I often wonder how I would have turned out if I had missed that divine moment when the Holy Spirit came in Pentecost fashion.  As mediocre as my ministry was, I am sure it would have been even more mediocre without those days.  And as one who has not always practiced the faithfulness of my intentions, I can only wonder how much more I would have failed without the awareness of a blessing that transcended anything which could have been expected.    

What I know now and have known for a long time is that I have lived grateful for that moment of being in the presence of the Holy Spirit.  It has been a firm anchor for my faith, it has been a reminder that the Spirit will do more than we would ever think possible, and it has created in me a hunger for God that has kept me on the road of always seeking something more in my spiritual life.  I have lived these fifty plus years grateful that I was at Asbury College that morning when the Spirit shook me to the core and found a place to abide in my heart.  

No comments: