Friday, October 20, 2023

The Uncomfortable Word

At the sanctuary door, I have stood
   not once, but a thousand times
     to hear the final thoughts and words
       of the leaving ones as they rush
         from the Holy Table and the Word
           to the table where private words 
are spoken about the one who spoke the Word.

At that listening post, I have heard 
   ear tickling words, "Great sermon today!"
      and just before pride puffed up the ego
           to the point of breaking, there came
               one with a frown and the words, 
                 "You stepped all over my toes,"
causing me to wonder if too much was said.

Walking away from that place, I remembered
     those stepped on toes put food on my table,
       a roof over my head, and clothe my little ones
         with a check freely given in the passed plate
            Sunday after Sunday and then some more,
              and what happens if the pain is too great,
will I be moving from here to another place there?

When the table at home is cleared, I wonder 
     about this gospel which steps on toes, 
       making people frown and be uncomfortable, 
         not just any people, but people of power,
           purse power, over me and all of mine
             raising for me the question, ""Dare I do it?"
"Dare I preach again that uncomfortable Word?"

No comments: