Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Fire in the Belly

My spiritual journey in these days has taken me from a "Big Tent Revival Meeting" as contemporary as today to a evangelistic service at a campground I was told was two hundred years old.  The singing at both was spirited and each preacher had fire in his belly.  In some ways it seemed like I had stepped back into what I often call the good old days.  They are definitely old although they may not have actually been as good as I remember them.  But, I will humor the old man that is in me and declare that the good old days were as good, if not better, than I remember.    

What I do know about these last few nights is that the worship brought a renewed spirit to this old preacher.  The first preacher sounded a theme which contrasted the difference in doing the religious things as a substitute for a personal relationship with Jesus.  And the second one used the third verse of Jude as a text.  "I...appeal to you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints."  It was a word which kept calling us to forget what people said about the Scripture for the sake of reading it ourselves.   Both preachers seemed to know about my heart.    

I will be the first to confess I needed these powerfully evangelistic messages.  I left my place in the pew renewed and wondering why I do not hear more sermons that are filled not with fire and brimstone, but the fire of the Spirit and a fervor that makes for passionate preaching.  Listening to these young guys almost made me want to get back to preaching!  Almost.  I did leave grateful that God was raising up some young preachers who could preach persuasively and with passion in these days when such is so desperately needed in the church.

No comments: