Monday, October 23, 2023

A Word from Ecclesiastes

The Sunday School class had labored for weeks, or longer, working its way through the seldom read Old Testament book of Ecclesiastes.  In the final session at which I was a visitor, it seemed that the verdict on the ancient writing was framed inside wondering why such a depressing and confusing writing was included in the holy Scripture.  As an unprepared visitor who had not read the writing in years, I really had nothing to offer to the common opinion so I listened without much comment.    

However, the Sunday conversation did send me home wondering if there was anything to preach besides the 3rd chapter which begins with "For everything there is a season..."  In this questioning mode I read some of the second chapter which contained the lament, "I hated all my toil which I had toiled under the sun, seeing that I must leave it to those who come after me-and who knows whether they will be wise or foolish?" (vs. 18).  As one who has worked on a farm for thirteen years, has a love affair with the land, and wonders what will happen to it when I am gone, I can identify with the lament of the writer.    

And as I looked for the Word of God in this difficult passage, I came to the 24th verse of that chapter which said, "There is nothing better for mortals than to eat and drink, and find enjoyment in their toil."  While some might read these words to be hedonistic, they could also speak to God calling us to pay attention to the present without worrying about the future.  It is not hard to remember Jesus saying something about this very issue.  So, here in the midst of this word which seems to be declaring that nothing matters, there is a word which reminds us that living in the present moment is the thing which is pleasing to God.  Next time I return to the class, I will report one more good preaching text.  And who knows?  There may be even more.

No comments: