Thursday, August 11, 2022

Those Old Bibles

Back in the '90's I bought two Bible that were just alike.  Well, one was black and the other was blue, but everything inside was the same.  My plan was to use one as my study and pulpit Bible until it was worn out and then pick up the second one to finish out the years of ministry.  This particular Bible was chosen because it was thin which made it easy to handle in the pulpit and it was my translation of choice which was the New Revised Standard Version.  When the first one became too marked up and needed tape to hold it together, it went to my oldest daughter who for some reason let me know she would like to have it.  

Actually, I could understand her desire to have the old Bible.  I have one that belonged to my father, another one that was used by my mother, and still another which I found in my father-in-law's unwanted stuff after his death.  I count them all as treasures.  I do not read them, but now and again I will pick one of them up, hold it, turn the pages, and remember how each Bible was held and used in the faith journey of someone who has gone before me.  Most folks tend to mark certain passages, or stick things inside the pages of their Bibles which makes a passed down Bible all the better.    

Back in a day before my own, it was common practice for folks to have what was considered to be a family Bible which had pages in the front to record such things as births, marriages, and deaths.  The listing of all the family information enhanced the value of the Bible and was carefully passed from one generation to the next.  But, I think what makes these Bibles of ours special is not only the way they become personalized with the story of our families, but also with the underlining and marginal notes which tell something of the spiritual story of the one who first held it and read it as the Word of God.  

No comments: