Tuesday, August 16, 2022

An End of Sabbatarianism

I have a small problem with the Fourth Commandment which says, "Remember the sabbath day, and keep it holy." (Exodus 20:8)   There has always been a sabbatarian streak in me.  I guess I grew up with it as I was told again and again about what could and could not be done on Sunday.  Sunday was special long before I knew it was special because it was designated as holy in the Scripture.  My problem has not been in seeking to observe the Sabbath.  It has not been in regarding it as a holy day.  Instead, the problem has been in regarding the seventh day as holy while understanding that all the others are holy, too.    

It took me a long time to come to a place of knowing that one day could be lived as a holy day even while choosing to live as if all the others days were holy, too.  Actually, every day is like everything else which bears the imprint of the Creator's hand.  Everyday from Monday to Saturday is holy even as is Sunday.  While the Word may speak of a different kind of life to be lived on the seventh day, this does not mean that every day that is filled with the work and living of life is not a holy day.    

What I have come to realize in these retirement years is that I do regard the seventh day which is known as Sunday as a holy day, one set aside for things like the worship of the Creator, this does not exclude the reality that all the other days are holy as well. So, I suppose I have come to the place of no longer being a sabbatarian.  All of this simply speaks of a greater awareness that I live in a holy creation where everything that is has been touched the hand of the Creator.  Keeping the Fourth Commandment does not mean that every other day is profane for whatever God brings into being can only be counted as holy.  

No comments: