Monday, August 29, 2022

The Promise Maker

Today as I drove home along a long stretch of expressway, I was reminded of the story of Noah.  Of course, what gave the reminder was the arching spectacular rainbow which reached from the road ahead of me into a distant place that I could not see.  The bands of color were sharp and the color was beyond any of those crayon sticks I used to find in my desk when I was learning about art work in elementary school.  At one point it seemed that I would surely drive into the rainbow, but by the time I arrived where it seemed to be, it was gone to another place.    

Anyone who spent a few hours in Sunday School as a child knows that the rainbow was a sign for Noah that there would be no more floods such as floated the ark for some forty days.  About the rainbow the Word of God says, "God said, 'This is the sign of the covenant that I make between you and Me and every living creature that is with you..."  (Genesis 9:12)   At first glance the rainbow reminds us of the ancient story and the promise God made to the faithful servant known as Noah, but on a larger scale it points us toward an understanding of God that is extremely important to all of us.    

This important word is that God is a Promise Maker and a Promise Keeper.  Go through the Word and start underlining all the promises God has made to His people.  And, then, get a notebook and start writing down all the promises God has kept which have impacted your life.  By the time the work of reading and writing is done, everyone of us will be kneeling in awe and raising our hands in thanksgiving to this gracious God.  He is a Promise Maker and Promise Keeper.  Every moment of our living bears witness to this divine reality.  Praise the Lord for His gracious goodness to each one of us!

No comments: