Friday, December 21, 2018

Thick Darkness

In tonight's darkness, I was caused to look more deeply into the darkness around me.  What soon became evident is that the darkness is not as absolute as it first seemed, but more like near darkness.  Maybe there are times when it seems that I am sitting in the darkness and that I have been  overwhelmed by the darkness when it is not really the darkness it seemed in the beginning.  All around are these small digital lights illuminating the dark.  These tiny lights collectively have power to break into the darkness enabling me to see what is at the onset of the darkness not seen.
 
And, so I wonder.  And, I remember a passage from Isaiah which is often read during the early days of Advent.  "Arise, shine; for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you.  For darkness shall cover the earth, and thick darkness the people; but the Lord will rise upon you, and His glory will be revealed over you."  (Isaiah 60:1-2)  Most of us have walked in some thick darkness.  It may even seem that we live in it.  My experience has taught me to never pretend the darkness cannot be thick and overwhelming.  But, like this dark room around me, is there not a Light which; perhaps, is not seen at first, but is bringing light into the darkness that afflicts the soul?
 
No matter how difficult these days may be, and no matter how thick the darkness, we can be equally as sure of the penetrating power of the light being brought to bear by the Light of the World.  At first the Light may be so subtle that it is easily missed, but even in the thick darkness He dwells with us for the purpose of showing us that no darkness has the power we sometimes want to give it.  Claim the darkness.  It is what honesty requires.  But, also claim the Light.  It is what faith requires.  In the claiming of both, we will most certainly find our way through the thick darkness to the eternal light.

No comments: