Saturday, December 29, 2018

The Dwelling Place

I do not see ahead as far as I used to see.  When I was younger it seemed that the view toward the horizon was close to being eternal in length.  I even made plans for days and years I could not see.  Some of the plans actually came to pass, although, many of them had some unplanned twists and turns which were surprises.  Some of the surprises were pleasant and some, not so pleasant.  In those days I may not have said it to others, but I thought of myself as the one who directed my future.

Youth may be the time of strength and stamina, but it can also be the time of great foolishness.   The view I have now of those days that are past requires me to realize that I have never had any control of my life which is also a view that enables me to see what is left of the road ahead more clearly.  Actually, I no longer cast my eyes very far ahead, but work at keeping them more focused on where the next foot is going to step.  I wish years ago someone could have come along and caused me to see the importance of paying attention to the present moment.

More than ever it seems that God is experienced in the present.  There is no guarantee of a greater sense of presence due to reaching some set out goal which speaks of having arrived.  When I started with these JourneyNotes some ten years ago, I had no idea how much life was about the journey. I had spent most of my life trying to get somewhere, to reach some level of achievement, to become someone I did not see myself as yet being.  And while I have not figured it all out even now in this latter part of the journey, I have at least learned that the most important place to be is where I am and the most important ones are the ones present with me in the moment.  And, finally, I have also learned that the God who created eternity dwells with me in the ordinary span called the present. 

No comments: