Thursday, December 13, 2018

Story Telling

I saw someone today across the way whom I did not know, but he looked like someone I used to know long years ago.  When I saw the stranger and thought of the one who was no stranger to my memory, I remembered a story from years ago.  Actually, it was not my story I remembered, but the one whom I remembered belonging to my friend from the past.  The moment set me to thinking how it has been that I have been privileged to be a small part of a lot of stories written by others.
 
I suppose it is the nature of being a pastor.  To be a pastor means that other people invite you to share in their lives at significant moments.  When there is a tragedy, the pastor is called.  When a wedding is being planned, the pastor is called.  When people are in the midst of great joy, or great sorrow the door is often opened for the one known as their pastor to enter.  To step through that open door at their invitation means becoming a small part of their story.  In the scheme of things, it may be nothing more than a phrase or two, or maybe a sentence in the whole of the story, but still it is a part of the story.
 
I have often wondered how some of those stories continued after I left and went on to another church.  When my mind was turned to the memory of an old friend by a face that seemed familiar, I found my thoughts running off in tangents wondering how things worked out.  Some stories are stories without endings as they are still being written.  Surely, it is like this with the story we are writing through our walk with Christ.  I often wonder where it is leading.  I often wonder how it is that He has worked in my life to bring me to this particular page in my story.  Sometimes I think it is more His story with me than mine with Him.  If such is the case, then it is surely a better story with the prospects of a better ending. 

No comments: