Friday, December 28, 2018

The Only Explanation

As we move along through our life and the years ahead seem smaller in number than the ones which are behind us, we begin to realize how indebted we are to others.  No matter how self sufficient we see ourselves as being, and no matter how much credit we give to ourselves for our success, it is all only an illusion. None of us get where we are going solely because of our own efforts, our own intellect, or our own ingenuity.   To be blessed with some extra years is to realize that life is not really as much about us, or me, as we once thought.
 
The truth is we are the results of what others have invested in us.  It is also true that we are in many ways the results of some one's prayers.  And, above all else, as we get older, we begin to understand how life has been so very much about the grace of God.  Grace really is what has brought us this far.  Grace and grace alone has brought us to this moment in our life.  One of the great mysteries of my life has been struggling with the early death of good friends who had so much to offer.  Why they are gone and I am still here is not something I have figured out.  The only explanation which makes any sense is grace. 
 
Of course, this is not to say that hard work and responsible living is unimportant.  It is not just enough to be blessed with years, but to live those years well.  But, the things I cannot control are far greater in number than the things I can control.  Though I can opt for a healthy lifestyle, I cannot really control my health.  Diseases are indiscriminate.  I cannot control how long my body or mind will function.  I cannot control the time of my death.  What I have come to believe through the years is that all of life is in the hands of God and that He can be trusted to tend to our life from beginning to end and even beyond. 

No comments: