Saturday, April 29, 2023

The Rising Sun

I woke up this morning just after the sun strarting torching the eastern horizon.  I watched the world be filled with soft colors in the gentle light which moved across the field between me and eastern sky.  It was the third morning after the day of her peaceful last breath at a hospice house and the sunrise which would bring us to the moment when her body would be placed in the ground.  I remember standing there in awe at what I was seeing and thinking, "The sun has come up another day."   

Indeed, the sun came up just like it aways has come up.  It did not stop just because my heart was so heavy with grief, or because I had been walking through a great darkness.  It came up again reminding me that though she was gone, life continues.  It might seem to me that the world has stopped, but it has not.  It goes on.   It was a breathtaking panorama that unfolded before me, full of a splendor and glory that made me consider the glory and spendor of heaven.  As wonderful as was that moment of sunrise, I knew it paled in comparison to the glory and splendor of the eternal Home which became my wife's this past Wednesday morning.  

I am grateful for the promise Jesus made when He spoke to the disciples about separating Himself from them and preparing for them a place in the eternal Home.  And, I am grateful that when I turned lose her hand the other morning after she breathed her last breath that the eternal God of the universe had already taken her hand for the last part of the journey Home.  For over fifty-three years she has been a part of my visible reality and now she lives invisble to me on the other side of the thin veil which separates here from there.  Though I grieve, I am grateful to God and grateful for the great thing He has done in making her whole again.   

No comments: