Thursday, April 6, 2023

Holy Thursday Meal

 'Twas Holy Thursday, and I, 
      having made myself clean
      with a bar of Mary's fine soap,
      and the waters of the brook
      made my way through the woods
      to the house where I finished
      getting myself ready to go
and eat the waiting holy meal.

In her arms my sweet Mary
     carried our child, Thomas,
     now too warm with fever,
     the fresh clean white shirt
     and mended blue pants
     she had managed still
     to make ready for me 
as a guest to the holy meal.

Bidding farewell, I set out
     on the lane to the church
     where Father O'Leary and,
     neighbors now friends all
     gathered around the Table
     to be abundantly blessed
     on the most holy night
when the dear Jesus is remembered..

At the place where music reached,
      I heard a bellowing sound
      from down in the river bog
      Knowing it could only be
      O'Malley's old milk cow
      that gave the needed milk
      for the new baby born 
without a mother's breast,

Into the muddy bog, I went
     grabbing halter rope
     pulling one way and another
     until cow and me came forth
     wearing black soured mud,
     but still I went toward the place
     where the Table had been set
for the very likes of me.

All had gone, only a candle lingered
     on the Table with a piece of crust
     and a cup once filled, now empty
     and so taking the crust of bread,
     I swiped inside the cup, 
     staining it with holy red,
     and took alone the holy meal
left for me under the hanging holy feet.

No comments: