Saturday, April 15, 2023

Here from There

Here is where I ended up when I left there.  I should have known being how life is a circle, or so some say.  I say a circle because when as a child some adult asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, the first thing I remember saying was, "I want to be a farmer."  My DNA is rooted in farm families.  Both of my parents grew up on farms and many of my aunts and uncles worked to grow crops from the dirt.  I always enjoyed visiting my extended family out in the country because they had mules and chickens, yards swept with a broom, and a water bucket with a dipper on the front porch.   

Suprisingly enough, the here part of my life has me on a small farm and every now and again some of my friends who do not know how little I know about farming refer to me as a farmer instead of a preacher.  It has surely been quite a transition going from the church to the farm.  While I do some farm stuff like growing some hay and tending some cows, I hardly think of myself as a farmer.  There are farmers around here and they surpass me in every way when it comes to that way of life.  

Sometimes I wonder who I am.  I know I am one of Wesley's worn out preachers and I know I live on land that has always been used for farming, but mostly I see myself as someone who arrived from there to here by the grace of God.  A lot of people I once called friends did not live long enough to retire, but here I am.  I like to think that I am here because God still has some unfinished work to do in my life and through it.  Each day I am grateful for the new sun I see and the new life which stretches before me.  I may not be sure who I am, but I know to Whom I belong and in these days that awareness is more than enough.

No comments: