Friday, January 6, 2023

The Holy Band

When Andrew became a disciple of Jesus it meant walking away from another spiritual mentor, John the Baptist.  Andrew was obviously a seeker.  The afternoon decision by this man set him on the road of being and becoming a life time disicple of Jesus.  It was for him a memorable moment of saying "yes" to what God was doing in his life.  It was not something he would forget.  As long as he lived, he would look back at that day with wonder and gratitude for it was a moment which changed his life.    

I am one of those who are grateful for a memory of such a moment.  While it did not occur out there in the open spaces as it did for Andrew, it took place in the solitude of my bedroom in the parsonage of the Alamo Methodist Church.  I had said "yes" to Jesus dozens of times at altars of revivals and at church camps, but it was not until this night shortly before graduation from high school that it stuck.  I have not always toed the line of the path I set out to walk, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that on that night long ago the journey with Jesus really began and has never ended.    

Many who profess faith in Christ have no such memory.  They speak not of a specific place and time, but of a season in their life when they sensed that the journey really began.  And while their life of faitih is as valid as is mine, I am grateful for the memory of beginning in that dark room where I knelt by my bed and gave my life to Christ.  It is a decision I have never regretted and one that is remembered with wonder that He would have me and gratitude that He received a young boy into that holy band of disciples.  

No comments: