Monday, January 30, 2023

A Continued Blessing

This morning while seeking some additional light on a passage of Scripture, I pulled a commentary off the shelf.  As the book touched my hands, I became awash with gratitude and a sense of undeserved blessing for the way the commentary I held came to me through the blessing of churches I had served.  In the last several pastorates, I was fortunate enough and blessed beyond measure by a generosity that provided a certain amount of money each year for continuing education.  Some of it was used to attend different workshops and some of it was used to buy books and Biblical commentaries.     

The commentary on John's gospel which I held this morning came to me in such a way.  There were no real strings attached to this act of generosity.  It was used at my discretion.  And, when there were unspent funds at the end of the year, I went to the catalogue to add to my volumes of Biblical commentaries.  And so, today even though I am twelve years into retirement, I am still being blessed by what was an unseen ministry of the church to its pastor.    

As I felt gratitude within my spirit this morning, I realized I was both privileged and blessed to serve churches which believed in the value of its pastor continuing to learn and grow in an understanding of the ways that God is present in the circumstances of our lives.  Their ministry to me no doubt made me a better preacher, a kinder pastor, and even now a worn out preacher whose hunger for the Word can continue to be fed.  All I can say at this point in the journey is "Thank you."

No comments: