Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Not Paying Attention

Today had within one of those anticipated waiting times in a dentist office so I picked up a small book by Esther de Waal entitled "Lost in Wonder."  It is one of those books which does not require a front to back reading, but is set forth in such a way that any chapter can be read independently of the rest.  And then, too, as I made my choice I knew it was a book I had already read a couple of times, maybe even more.  

This is not to say I had digested everything in its pages which is why it required multiple reads.   But, as is often the case a repeated read can bring unexpected surprises.  It was the sub title of the book which really caught me by surprise this time:  "Rediscovering the Spiritual Art of Attentiveness."  Just when it seems that some progress is being made in paying attention, something like this happens.  The slow learner than I am read the book several times and never noticed it was about the spiritual art of attentiveness.  I picked up some of this in the reading, but did not realize it was a major part of the reason for the book.   

This is not the first time life has surprised me in such a way.  I read too fast.  It is just something I do.  And, so I miss some things that I find the next time I race through the pages.  Of course, some things I never see because I am reading too much to get to the end instead of staying in the stream of what is being expressed.  It makes me wonder if this is symptomatic of the way I live.  

No comments: