Friday, November 25, 2022

1000 Gifts

Ever since Dick and Jane and their dog, Spot, ran across the pages of the book in front of me, I have been an avid reader.  Some books are read and put aside.  Some are read and kept because they are timeless classics.  And, some have the power to change our spiritual life.  One such book came to me back in 2013.  It was written by Ann Voskamp and is entitled, "1000 Gifts."  I remember the date because it was when I started my gratitude journal.  The Voskamp book chronicled her listing of 1000 blessings for which she was thankful within a year.  Next Lent I will be working on mine for ten years and have just now written down gift number 645 for which I am thankful.    

But, the book is more than just a listing of things for which she is thankful  Much more.  In it she also shares her own spiritual journey for that year in a way that enables us to share deep loss with her as well as moments so filled with joy and praise that she dances before the full moon.  It is a book I have recommended over and over to many people through the years.     

Good books are always shared with others.  Her book has helped me pay more attention to the blessings which are all around me.  The fact that I have only recorded 645 does not speak to a lack of blessings for which I am thankful, but being undisciplined as a journal keeper.  My list is not a list of super extraordinary things but stuff like (642) the gift of red handled knife, (643) a phone call expressing care, (644) a Thanksgiving Day lunch shared with two special folks, and (645) a good night's sleep. Anyone open to reading a book which will have a powerful impact on their spiritual journey is invited to read "1000 Gifts" and, oh yes, start a gratitude journal.  

No comments: