Saturday, November 5, 2022

Locked Church Doors

Many things have changed about the church in the years that I have known it, sat through its many sermons, and preached more than a few of my own.  Some of the changes may be in the area of the profound and the unexpected while others are so simple we seldom give any attention to them.  One of the things which has been remembered in these last days is that the church of my boyhood was the church of the unlocked door.  In these day every door is secured and the windows are tight.  Getting inside amounts to breaking and entering, but not so in a day so long ago.    

Back in the day I remember, getting in the church any day of the week was as simple and easy as opening the front door and walking inside the building.  In the neck of the woods I remember, church doors were not locked.  Perhaps, back then there were not as many people bent on committing crimes.  Or, maybe those who would break in figured the law and God would get involved if caught.  Or, there is also the possibility that open unlocked doors were no challenge to the thrill seeker.   

Of course, none of this wondering amounts too much.  It could be true that church doors were unlocked back then because folks wanted the doors to be open at any time should someone have a reason to go and kneel at the altar.  Or, maybe back then people did not count what was inside as being so valuable that it would need locks and expensive insurance policies to protect.  I have never really settled on the reason, but I do remember a church next door which was always open and available to young people like me who might want to go in without having to worry about some adult watching over our shoulder.  My adult mind understands all the logic of the locked church doors, but my memory sure does long for the days when admission was available to whoever, whenever.  

No comments: