Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Remembering Music

Recently I re-connected with a couple of grown up kids who back in the early '70's were in the children's ministry which I offered at my first appointment.  What they both remembered was a song we sang which went, "The Lord said to Noah there's going to be floody, floody, get them children out of the muddy, muddy, children of the Lord."   Actually, I was amazed to hear that anyone still remembered those early days of ministry, much less some song we sang.      

It was at that moment of laughing at their memory that I remembered two lay people from the St. John Church whose names are forever associated with the solos they enjoyed doing.  John sang, "Cornerstone," and Marynell sang, "People need the Lord."  Whenever I hear those songs, I remember those two raising their unique voices in praise to God.  Music really has a way of taking root in the deep places of our life.  Those who are gifted in music offer a very special gift to the Body of Christ.     

As I have often said, I remember very few sermons I have heard.  I probably remember even fewer that I have preached, but I carry around a songbook of songs in my memory.  Some are remembered as the songs of special folks, some are remembered from special places such as Evening Vespers at Young Harris College, and some are songs which have enriched the worship life of the church for hundreds of years.  I am not a singer, but I love to sing.  I love to sing with the congregation of people who like me are not good singers, but enjoy doing it.  It has always blessed my soul and most assuredly the singing we have offered to God has been received as a gift of praise and thanksgiving to the God who created the music and put love for it in us.  

No comments: