Sunday, December 6, 2020

Cemetery Musings

About the middle of last year's summer, I took on a volunteer job as the caretaker for our local city cemetery.  Someone else is paid to do the maintenance so my part is to handle the sales of plots, make sure what needs to be done out there is done, and mostly just be available as the contact guy for whatever.  It has put me in a position of helping people with end of life stuff.  Sometimes it simply has to do with someone who is wisely planning for the inevitable and at other times the inevitable has come full force with overwhelming power.      

While there are plenty of graveyard jokes, I have discovered that the work is more sobering than humorous.  It is also a place kindness and compassion can be offered in difficult moments.  And while not everyone who sells cemetery plots asks for permission to pray with those making the purchase, it has come to be something which has proven to be a not spurned offer.     

Seldom do I go out that way without thinking about my own mortality.  I have been blessed with more than my three score and ten years.  I have also been blessed over and over and over again with a mercy not deserved and a grace that is beyond measure.  I am grateful to God for His hand which hovered over me when I was brought into this life and am grateful that the same hand shall take me when it is time to leave here for home.  

No comments: